Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Color Me ____.

*WARNING* This post is filled with a lot of color.


I am Filipino and White (Irish/Welsh/Indian).

That only tells you WHAT I am, not WHO I am.  My race or ethnicity doesn't DEFINE who I am as a person nor tell you anything about my character.  My blood and your blood are the same color.

Yet it has become the norm to blame everything on color:

  • I got pulled over because I'm ____.
  • I didn't qualify for food stamps because I'm ____.
  • I get "randomly" checked at the airport because I'm ____.

No one owns up to anything.  You got pulled over for speeding or reckless driving - NOT because of the color of your skin.  You didn't qualify for food stamps because according to the system you make too much - NOT because of the color of your skin.  I don't think I need to remind anyone, but due to a horrible moment in US History, airports do conduct a lot of RANDOM checks - NOT because of the color of your skin. 

People! - Stop jumping to conclusions all the time!  Sometimes it really is just plain and simple.

I am not blind to the fact that there are bad/corrupt cops out there; just like I'm not blind to the fact that are bad/corrupt lawyers, presidents, governors, priests, teachers, civilians etc.  It is everywhere and not just all bundled up in one at the police station!  It's not ONLY bad WHITE cops; they come in any shape/size/color.


I am so tired... so so so tired of reading/watching how the term "white people" is being dragged through the mud every single time something wrong/unjust happens to a black person.  I'm sure that goes both ways; that is racism.  Why is ok for one group of people to throw the racism flag up, but wrong for the other group to feel the same?  You shouldn't be able to label me or accuse me of being a racist because of the simple fact that the color of my skin is white; that does not automatically make me racist.  It's just like I shouldn't hate anyone or treat them differently because of the color of their skin or assume they're a thug because of the color of their skin.


I will not sit here and try to justify that I am not a racist or try to justify how I'm not because I'm friends with this # of black people and I have this # of black relatives, etc. because I already know that regardless of what I say/type there will still be someone totally missing the point of what I am saying.  I don't need to justify that nor prove it to anyone.

The riots in Baltimore do not effect me.

The riots that occurred in Ferguson did not effect me.

I am not from there nor have I ever lived in either place.  But the way people paint a picture of white people in regards to those riots does effect me personally.  I'm part of that majority; I am white.  I feel strongly about it just as much as a black person does.  We are both allowed to have an opinion; my opinion doesn't rate anything higher than theirs and vice versa.


Why is it ok to stereotype anyone, but you're instantly a racist when the tables are turned? 

  • If you like Starbucks and wear yoga pants and/or UGGs then you're a basic white girl.  Correct? 
  • It's just like saying all black people like fried chicken, grape soda, and watermelon.  Correct? 
  • How about, if you drive horribly - you're either a female or Asian.  Correct?
  • Or when you wear baggy pants and fitted hats you're a thug or some hoodlum.  Correct?
  • And my favorite, when you wear big hoop earrings and have thin ass eyebrows - looking like a straight up chola so you must be Mexican.  Correct?
I'm guilty at laughing at some of those stereotypes/labels.  I know I'm not the only one.  However, why is it ok to pick and choose when it's funny (when applied to others), but wrong when it pertains to you or someone similar?  It's a two way street my dears!  We need to rid ourselves of all these double standards.  You feel me?  It's NOT ok to stereotype certain people if you can't take it when it's applied to you. 

The same thing applies to these crazy/unnecessary riots; it's EVERYONE rioting - not just blacks.  If you are a true civil rights activist then you don't only speak up when it's white on black crimes.  If you are a true civil rights activist then you would protest PEACEFULLY to bring awareness, not riot unlawfully.
 


It's videos like the one above that really dry hump my nerves.  Why is it when we get pulled over we try to make it a point to try to "outsmart" or argue with whomever pulled you over?  It's like instead of that heart racing/small panic attack [or maybe that's just me] you used to feel about to happen as soon as you saw those lights flash in your rearview mirror, it's all been replaced by this urge to whip out your camera phone, just hoping & wishing to catch an officer of the law doing something you feel is wrong.  I don't even think it's to sincerely prove there's been some type of injustice anymore or if it's just to go viral. 

You should just cooperate like this gentleman:


I thought I would share some comments from a public post that I came across today.  The gentleman who shared it was black and one of the females commenting was also black, along with 3 white [I'm assuming] with myself included also commenting. The post was referring to how there have been riots that involved white people over ridiculous shit (football/baseball games, etc.) and the media failed to cover anything about it.  I wanted to share some of the comments that were made that I thought were beyond ignorant.  Can you read those comments, but flip them as if a white person said them, and then tell me you didn't feel it was racist?

I honestly didn't know I was born with "privileges"

From her point of view - whites are racist against everyone who isn't white

And white people will never understand racism because we are not black

Odd because the school I went to, the majority was black... We were all taught the same curriculum.

She's not racist... She's racist... ?

Playing victim that "bitches" like me will always make it seem like blacks are racist

She denied being racist, but admits when she talks about white people she is racist..?

I even underlined my "favorite" part - she thinks our culture should be "wiped out" to insert black culture now

All that is just ugly.

Speaking of the media - it happens to be the common denominator in a lot of these issues.  The media chooses what they what to show.  When that happens, they pretty much control your emotions.  They know that when they post a white on black crime that there will be an uproar in the black community, etc.

I do believe we should speak up and stand up for what we believe is right.  But there's a difference between having a Voice and abusing it.  People shouldn't use a man's death as an excuse to riot.  I'm sure his family would like to mourn in peace; not have some ridiculous riot forever connected to him dying.  The riots are not contributing to a greater good; if anything you will bring poverty to your home.  You are tearing down businesses that people work hard to start/keep.  Then what?  Will it be the white communities fault for that too?

Let's all stop for a moment and quit being so narrow-minded...  How do you think Hispanics or Asians, or any other race for that matter feel?  When will they have their time in the spotlight?  Nope, until we ALL do something to make a change it will forever be the "white man oppressing the black man".

Let it go.  Let's all stop living in the past.  Everyone needs to stop walking around with a chip on their shoulder over something that all of our ancestors did.  How about we stop playing the victim all the time?  Let's all admit to our faults.  Last I checked, I don't own any slaves and no one in my family in this day & age does or has ever.  None of us walking around here today have experienced extreme racism like our ancestors did in the past; so stop with the so called similarities.



We can all agree to disagree, but we need to teach our children, the future generation, Love, Equality, and Unity.  It shouldn't be that #BLACKlivesmatter or #WHITElivesmatter -- #ALLlivesmatter.



xo,
sss

No comments:

Post a Comment